Prepare to Earn the Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)® Credential with NIU.
A Small Investment Yields Big Rewards when it comes to Your Internal Audit Career!
Earning your Certified Internal Auditor® credentials can pay big dividends. It’s amazing what those 3 little letters CIA® says about your expertise and professionalism!
- As the only globally recognized internal audit certification, becoming a Certified Internal Auditor® (CIA®) is the optimum way to communicate knowledge, skills, and competencies to effectively carry out professional responsibilities for any audit, anywhere.
- Candidates complete the program enriched with educational experience, information, and business tools that can applied immediately in any organization and business environment.
- According to the IIA’s 2017 Compensation Study, internal audit professionals holding the CIA credential earn an average of $38,000 more annually than those without a credential.
About the CIA® Credential
The internal audit function is an effective assurance and consulting function designed to evaluate and improve effective risk management, control and governance processes. Candidates seeking to earn the CIA credential must meet the eligibility requirements established by the Institute of Internal Auditors www.theiia.org/certification and pass an exam for each part of the program. The proctored computer-based exams are administered at PearsonVue testing centers worldwide. Exams may be taken in any order and at any time throughout the year.
Spring 2020 Courses Canceled
Our spring courses have been canceled due to COVID health and safety concerns. Please stay healthy and check back for future updates.
About the IIA’S CIA Learning System® Course Curriculum
Study materials used in this program include both print materials and online resources to help you be prepared for the exams. Practice exams, video tutorials, quizzes, flashcards, and other online resources will help supplement your learning.
The three part program focuses on 3 key components:
CIA Part 1: Essentials of Internal Auditing
- Foundations of Internal Auditing
- Independence and Objectivity
- Proficiency and Due Professional Care
- Quality Assurance and Improvement Programs
- Governance, Risk Management and Control
- Fraud Risks
- Managing the Internal Audit Activity
- Internal Audit Operations
- Establishing a Risk-based Internal Audit Plan
- Communicating and Reporting to Senior Management and the Board
- Planning the Engagement
- Engagement Planning
- Performing the Engagement
- Information Gathering
- Analysis and Evaluation
- Engagement Supervision
- Communicating Engagement Results and Monitoring Profess
- Communicating Engagement Results and the Acceptance of Risk
- Monitoring Progress
- Business Acumen
- Organizational Objectives, Behavior and Performance
- Organizational Structure and Business Processes
- Data Analytics
- Information Security
- Information Security
- Information Technology
- Application and System Software
- IT Infrastructure and IT Control Frameworks
- Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity
- Financial Management
- Financial Accounting and Finance
- Managerial Accounting
Instructors: Stephen (Steve) Minder, CIA, CPA, CISA, CFE, CGMA is CEO & Managing Director of YCN Group, LLC; Arvin Floresca CPA, CIA, CISA, CGMA, CRMA, Director, SOX Compliance and Accounting Policies, Anixter.
Course Fees: IIA Members & NIU Alumni - $2250; Early Rate/Standard - $2350 within 14 days of class start. A $100 late registration is assessed for registrations within 14 days of class start.
Cancellation Policy: Any cancellation requests received at least 14 days prior to class start and shipment of materials will be assessed a $300 cancellation fee. No refunds will be issued for cancellations within 14 days of class start. All cancellation requests must be in writing to: Outreachregistration@niu.edu or fax (815) 753-6900. NIU Outreach reserves the right to cancel courses within 14 days of class start if enrollments are not sufficient to cover costs of program delivery.
Illinois candidates in job transition may be eligible for Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) funding to cover costs of this program. Visit www.iwdes.gov for details.
Course Materials available in print and electronic format.
NIU Provides Expert Guidance to help you Achieve Exam Success!
NIU is one of an elite group of university partners licensed by The Institute of Internal Auditors® (IIA®) to offer the NEWLY UPDATED Certified Internal Auditor® (CIA®) Review courses.
- Course content is aligned with the updated 2019 Certified Internal Auditor® (CIA®) Exams
- This program is offered in an intensive 3 day format covering all 3 part of the exam
- Affordable course fees include the NEW v6.0 IIA’s CIA Learning System print and online study materials, continental breakfast, lunch and break service.
- NIU’s experienced and credentialed instructors bring a wealth of practical real world experience and examples to the classroom
- Classes incorporate a variety of interactive learning activities to reinforce key concepts
- Online practice exams prepare you for the exam day experience
- Exam study tips and tools enhance your preparation
- Learn and share experiences with peers from diverse backgrounds
- Receive a NIU Certificate of Completion and CPE credits upon successful completion of each course
Illinois Veterans and Illinois National Guard Grant Programs: This program is not eligible for funding under the IL Veterans and IL National Guard Grants. IVG and ING grants apply only to those programs assessing tuition and mandatory fees. NIU Outreach is licensed to deliver this program by the sponsoring professional organization. The registration fee for this program is not based on tuition and fees and includes course materials, licensing fees, catering services, and instructional costs not covered by the IVG/ING grants.
- Professional Education Overview
- Human Resources
- Facility Management
- Project Management
- Internal Audit
- National Safety Education Center
Complete the form below to receive emails about our professional certification and credentialing courses.
The CIA designation is the only globally accepted certification for internal auditors and remains the standard by which individuals demonstrate their competency and professionalism. Candidates complete the program enriched with educational experience, information, and business tools that can be applied immediately in organization and business environments.