Human Resources (SHRM®)
Other HR Professionals?
Business is changing and employers are demanding that HR professionals adapt to that change.
Investing in continuing education should be a critical component of your formula for success. NIU’s professional continuing education programs will help you earn the credibility and recognition you deserve.
Whether you’re new to HR or have a few years of experience, Northern Illinois University has the tools you need to advance your career and confidently handle your organization’s complex HR issues
For the past 20 years, Northern Illinois University has partnered with the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) to provide exceptional, high quality professional development opportunities for HR professionals.
What Differentiates the NIU Program from Other Providers?
- 24/7 access to video presentations of each topic of study.
- A case study to apply your theoretical studies to practical solutions.
- Test preparation, interactive games and in-class learning activities to improve understanding and retention.
- Share resources and network with instructors and classmates through a secure Blackboard Community.
- Optional four hour final review sessions at the end of each semester.
- A SHRM-SCP® credentialed instructor team that lives and breathes HR every day!
New to HR?
The SHRM Essentials® of Human Resources program will help you grasp the roles and responsibilities of HR in business.
Experienced HR Professionals
HR Certification is the route for you and the SHRM Learning System® for SHRM-CP® and SHRM-SCP® Certification Preparation Course will help you get there.
Benefits of Enrolling in NIU courses:
- Courses are offered at convenient locations throughout northern Illinois
- A variety of course formats accommodate busy schedules and learning styles
- A team of certified practitioner instructors bring a wealth of real-world, practical experience to the classroom
- Peer networking
- Cost effective learning – Course fees are inclusive of all instructional materials
- Award of Continuing Professional Development Units and Certificates of Completion
- Certification Preparation courses are approved for Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) funding for qualified unemployed candidates.
Top 5 Ways Your Organization Will Benefit From Your SHRM-CP®/SHRM-SCP® Certification.
- Your knowledge will be current and relative
- You will learn practical skills to impact your job immediately
- The SHRM Certifications were developed with employers in mind
- Your knowledge and skills will be globally-applicable and universally recognized
- Your certification and training comes from the leading advocate for HR professionals (SHRM)
Visit our sponsoring HR chapters
- Professional Education Overview
- Human Resources
- Facility Management
- Project Management
- Internal Audit
- National Safety Education Center
Complete the form below to receive emails about our professional certification and credentialing courses.
Donna Mann, Director
Registration by phone
Call 815-753-0277 or
Toll Free 800-345-9472
Monday – Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. (CST) for live assistance.
All cancellation and transfer requests must be in writing. Email Outreachregistration@niu.edu or fax 815-753-6900.